Akame ga Kill! - Akame - ALA 2015

Akame was legitimately a labor of love. I started posting characters I just ADORE on my personal Facebook page that I wanted to work on. Characters that I could never cosplay due to all of them being female. Jane stepped up to be the first of my models. Brave girl. What a brave girl.

Here are the references I worked from.









Went online and found a picture of a katana in order to guarantee a perfect curve on the sword blade. I didn't trust the vector of the Murasame that I found.





Also had a little helper in the shop that day! She learned a lot!



Started the sword with a plywood sheet. Drew the pattern onto the sheet.



Cut out the blade blank.



Sheath is made as a box around the blade blank. Same plywood is used for the side walls. 1mm PVC is added as well to get a 1mm clearance to account for the fabric added later.





Glued 6mm PVC to the wood+PVC walls enclosing the sheath. Added cloth to the PVC to help mitigate paint wear on the blade.



Sheath starts off with a square cross section. Looks super ugly.



Ground down the edges with an angle grinder then smoothed out more so with the orbital sander. Oval cross section achieved.





Added handle (not pictured) with 3mm PVC as well as cross guard. Details added with 3mm PVC and cleaned up the seams with bondo.





Armor made from 2 separate plates of 3mm PVC to achieve the super textured design. Added battle damage later.



The result of 1 day worth of work.



Jane finished the painting and clean up on her own then debuted it at ALA 2015! So happy to get one of my waifu cosplays out the door. It was surprisingly satisfying to express my creative energy and love for Akame in this fashion and I hope to do more waifu projects in the future!


Jwai Design 


Indieglue

Sailor Moon - Sailor Saturn - Journey Beyond 2014

I was given another commission from long time friend Sushimonster. She showed me the art from NoFlutter's version of the Sailor Scouts to draw from and I couldn't have been more excited to A.) Work on something from Sailor Moon B.) Not make a sword

First off here is the original art.



I talked to my client and reasoned with her that we'd just use the default Sailor Saturn staff as reference since the 2 didn't have any huge discrepancies.



I got some art and cropped enough to get a good side view to draft a pattern from.



Printed it out into card stock. The plan was to have the tang of the glaive socket around a plastic rod then have that weird clamshell on top of it to cover the rod.



Got a table leg from Home Depot. Drilled holes on the top and bottom and inserted the plastic rod on top, and a threaded bar on the bottom. This threaded bar matched the size of the retractable curtain rod I also bought.



Cut the blade from PVC foam and glued together for proper thickness. Super rough right?



Sanded the blade edges to get them clean and put a bevel into the blades. Carved some detail into the clam piece on the bottom of the blade.



Cut the "mace" portion on the bottom from 6mm PVC foam and attached to the curtain rod with JB Weld.



It all screws together!



Primed, painted and sanded



Delivered to client and they made some magic happen! Photo by BigWhiteBazooka. Thanks for reading!

League of Legends - Arcade Miss Fortune - Montreal Comic Con 2014

Had the opportunity to work with long time friend Yaya Han on a League of Legends project. I knocked out these guns in a couple of days, and it's one of my quickest builds yet!

References.





Went into MS Paint and edited a picture of the model to get what I needed for the pattern.



Drafted out the pattern.



Cut out the handle then glued PVC pipe for the barrel.





Made a box around the PVC pipe to hold it in place and for details later.









Cut out the front sight of the gun and carved using a belt sander. A really big belt sander...because I can.







Added detailing plates. Drilled holes, cut grooves etc.





Cut out the rear detailing from PVC. Added PVC and acrylic detailing to the end of the handle.





Primed with Rustoleum Filler Primer.



Client took care of the painting process and debuted at Montreal Comic Con. Was really happy to help a friend knock a costume out of the park!