First order of business is the reference art. Nothing is ever consistent with Sharrkan, even in the official art. His green trim is always a bit different, his sword is slightly altered etc etc. Eventually I just picked the nicest fanart I could find that had a nice profile picture of his sword. The second picture I liked because of the raised detail running down the center of the blade. More on that later.
First step is to ALWAYS pattern out what you're making. I printed out the sword from the first picture onto cardstock then broke it up into both the blade and the handle.
First the entire blade and handle were cut from 3/8" thick plywood. From there the rest of the handle (to give it a good thickness) was cut and sanded from MDF. If you notice in the picture the plywood of the sword is a pinkish color. Plywood needs to be sanded not only to get the bevel in the blade edge, but also to smooth it out. Bondo auto body filler is used to fill in any remaining imperfections in the wood itself giving it a very smooth finish.
The sword was essentially completed later that day. The handle was glued to the sword using Heavy Duty Liquid Nails.
I glued on an acrylic triangle strip onto the sword to give it that nice raised detail running the length of the blade. I also actually documented my painting method for once!
Painting is always done in this order
Primer -> sand -> primer -> color paint -> sand (if necessary) -> color paint -> gloss coat (if time permits). I use Rust-Oleum products for all of my painting also, so spray paints are KING! Just remember that taping everything off and taking your time pays off A LOT in the end, so be patient, let everything dry and you'll get some nice paint.
Total construction time = 12 hours (not including paint drying times)
Swords are easy...Now for things I did not know how to make...
Remember that remark about tedious things? I stayed up for a good long while doing my part in the trim. Black strips of ribbon were glued down to a green strip of fabric using liquid stitch. Later it was handed off to Jen to sew down as well. I don't sew. You kidding me?
I just want to make an important note:
**THIS WAS NOT THE FOAM USED IN THE FINAL PRODUCT BUT THE PROCEDURE IS THE SAME**
I used L200 foam in these pictures, but the final product was just plain craft foam from Michael's, the super thin kind. Turns out the L200 was too thick and didn't look good.
In any case, gold spandex was covered in Weldwood Contact Cement, then this glue was also applied to the foam. The bond for this is very good, but I highly recommend using the installed brush on the bottle, or if you opt for the big can like I did later on, an acid brush. Spatulas just don't cut it.
The completed plates were sent to Jen to be sewn to a gold belt. Good thing we didn't wind up using this really thick L200 though, it would have taken her forever to stitch it up.
The completed product with all the silly bishi nonsense that accompanies it. Opted to not use white eyebrows for the photo shoot because it looks AWFUL in pictures. Just believe me on that one. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to drop us a line on Facebook or on the comments!