After all the RWBY madness Monty actually gave me a character to cosplay. I'll be honest I was pretty ambivalent to it when he showed me the concept.
Then he showed me the weapon and the demo fight with the weapon. Yeah... I was sold.
I knew I could make the gauntlets so I made the shotguns first. I haven't made guns for a very long time up until this point. I made a prototype and it was so-so. In the end I tossed it and made 4 new ones.
Cut out the handles from PVC foam.
Made the barrels from PVC pipes and PVC foam. Glued them together with super glue.
Glued a plate on to give the right shape. Used match marks to ensure they would lay where I needed them to.
Attached the handle and barrel with super glue.
Got the curvature by attaching a plate of PVC on the top and cold bending it. Covered the seam with another plate.
Bondo'd the seems.
Covered the front hole with Apoxie Sculpt.
Started the gauntlet with paper patterns. Cut a tent shape from 2 pieces of PVC foam.
Heat shaped around a PVC pipe to get a uniform bend.
Added the cuff section with several layers of PVC.
Glued the 2 sections together. Added googly eyes for the details. Glove section is just a square piece with acrylic and PVC discs.
Added googly eyes and ground down the sharp edges.
Added some battle damage to the gauntlets using my box cutter. Shotguns were sent off to a friend to paint. She saved me a lot of time. Forever grateful!!!
I think Monty really liked the battle damage concept because a couple months later Sun's updated model had similar damage.
Wound up painting the gauntlets with a simple red spray paint. I would later weather (at the con) with black acrylic to make the damage pop.
Finished it off with a gold chain I bought on eBay (plastic) and wore it at the con.